Sunday, May 9, 2010

"like a pretty woman" by Yumie Kazama

On one of my trips to Kinokuniya (the book store referred to by many of us as "kino") to buy a "girl's style" magazine, I came across a book called "like a pretty woman" by Yumie Kazama.

As I flipped through the book, I found that it was full of photos of Yumie-san in her fabulous outfits. The book opens with shots of her in France. The ones that caught my attention were of her at Lyon train station wrapped up in a dark blue shawl with a hint of the white shirt and navy and pink polka dot scarf she was wearing underneath. Complementing her outfit were long brown suede boots, Louis Vuitton hand-carry luggage and an oversized brown leather shoulder bag. Needless to say, I kept on flipping through that book.

Yumie shares on "How to be a Lady". Here, there are photos about adopting Jackie (Kennedy)'s style,  the "Petite Jacket" and "Rain Boots" amongst many other aspects on "how to be a lady" through your outfits. As I continue through the book, it turns out Yumie is a stylist. Unfortunately, with my very limited Japanese I could not read a lot of the narrative running throughout the book. However, I was thankful for the sprinkling of English here-and-there which allowed me to at least find out about the background of the author.

Before I knew it, I was already at the counter paying for the book!

Having looked through the book many times now, I'd have to say that my favourite section is where Yumie records her outfits on 365 days. The photos were taken from February 2004 to October 2009.

How it's possible for someone to own so many clothes is a little beyond me. Regardless, the shots have been great in giving me ideas on how to pull outfits together. Outfits that have spanned a 5 year period and still look stylish today... that's something to aspire to.


No comments:

Post a Comment